What is a drug-related killing?
An incident is drug-related if the victim was killed through violent means (e.g. beaten to death, shot, stabbed) and meets at least one of the following criteria:
- Was killed in a drug-related operation, activity, or encounter;
- Was reported to be involved in the drug trade or in the war on drugs in whatever capacity (e.g. alleged drug personality, law enforcer, informant, etc.);
- Was reported to be in possession of illegal drugs at the time of the killing or when the body was found;
- Was reported to be associated with someone involved in the drug trade;
- Was killed by someone reported to be involved in the drug trade for drug-related reasons or while under the influence of drugs (assumed unless stated otherwise).